Learn how to add and set up an employee in QuickBooks payroll products.
Here's how to add employees to your payroll. Follow these steps whether you're setting up payroll for the first time, or if you're just adding a new employee to your team.
Note: If you need to change an existing employee’s info, see Edit or change employee info in payroll instead.
Step 1: Get employee info
Here's what you need to have before you add an employee in the payroll system:
- W-4: Employee’s Withholding Certificate of personal data such as name, address, social security number, dependents and adjustments. Your employees can enter this info when you invite them, but you are required to keep a copy of this for your records.
- I-9: A form used to verify employment eligibility in the United States.
- Email address: Send your employees an invite to add their personal info and have access to their pay stubs and W-2s online.
- Work location: The address where your employee works.
- Pay info: Employee’s salary or pay rate, other pay types, as well as pay schedule (how often you'll pay them)
- Direct deposit info: Employee’s bank routing number and account number. Employees can add up to 2 bank accounts.
- Pay history: This only applies if you're setting up your QuickBooks payroll service for the first time. If that's true, and you've paid your employees already this year, you’ll need their year-to-date pay stubs so that you can have accurate year-end totals for taxes, etc. We'll walk you through this, but be sure you have this info.
Step 2: Add your employees
Now that you have the necessary documents, let's set up your new employee. If you need to make changes to an employee who is already in the system, see Edit or change employee info in payroll instead.
Select your payroll product to get started
Step 3: Complete new state setup if you added an employee who lives/works in another state
If you received an email with the subject New info needed for company tax setup, or your employee lives and/or works in a different state from where your business is located, you may need to set up and pay taxes in that state. See Set up payroll taxes in a new state.