Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel tax payments and forms

Learn how to cancel federal and state tax payments and forms.

Do you need to cancel a tax form or payment you already submitted? Follow the guidelines below for the form or payment you want to cancel.

You can't cancel a Form 940 or 941 after you've filed it electronically. If you need to adjust a filed return, contact the IRS. Or visit the IRS website for more information. When contacting the IRS you'll need to provide the confirmation number and the PIN.

Intuit can only cancel your Forms W-2s if you make the request before we transmit them. Transmission happens within hours of receiving your e-filing. If you miss this window, you must submit corrections directly to the Social Security Administration using Form W-2c or Form W-3c.

Note: To find out whether you can cancel a specific set of Forms W-2, Contact Us. If you submit the exact same W-2 more than once, the resubmitted forms are automatically rejected as duplicates.

Each state has different policies in canceling forms that you have filed electronically. You must contact your agency to try to cancel the e-filing.

You can't cancel federal e-payments through QuickBooks once they've been transmitted.

If it's two or more business days before payment is scheduled to be made, do the following:

  1. Go to the EFTPS website
  2. Select Payments from the home page
  3. Log in. Then select Cancel a Tax Payment from the menu. And follow the instructions.

If the payment is scheduled to occur in less than two business days, you can't cancel it through EFTPS tax payment service. Please follow the appropriate guidance below for your situation:

  • If your previous payment is less than the amount owed, schedule another payment for the difference.
  • If you indicated the wrong tax form or tax type, contact the IRS in 10 business days to have a correction made.
  • If you have more than one EFTPS enrollment and used the wrong account, contact your financial institution about denying the payment. (Note: Fees may apply.)
  • If you paid more than the amount you owe, the additional funds will be applied to the next tax period. Or, you may contact your financial institution about denying the payment. (Note: Fees may apply.)

Customer service may be able to cancel your payment (up to two business days in advance of the scheduled due date). Some state e-payments are transmitted to the agency immediately. In that case you must contact the agency to try to cancel the e-payment.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Sign in for the best experience
Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.
Sign In / Sign Up

Need to get in touch?

Contact us