Learn how to change your existing Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) in Quickbooks Desktop.
When the organization or ownership of your business has changed, you may need a new EIN from the IRS so you can file tax returns and pay your employees. Here’s how you can request from the IRS, then update your EIN in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
|Note: Make sure to consult your accountant or IRS on whether or not you need to submit separate W-2s for the new and the old EIN. If you do need to submit separate W-2s then you need to create a new company file for the new EIN.|
Request a new EIN from IRS
Change your EIN
Once you have your new EIN, update QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
- Go to Company, then select My Company.
- From Company Information, select Edit ✎
- From menu on the left, select Company Information
- In the Federal Employer Identification No. field, enter the new EIN then select OK.
- Contact us so we can update your EIN in our records.