Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3 helpful votes

Change your Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Learn how to change your existing federal Employer Identification Number (EIN).

Your EIN identifies your business to the IRS. It's also used by QuickBooks Desktop Payroll services to validate your subscription. We explain how to update your EIN when the organization or ownership of your business changes.

Note: Make sure you consult your accountant or IRS on whether or not you need to submit separate W-2s for the new and the old EIN. If you do need to submit separate W-2s then you need to create a new company file for the new EIN.

Request a new EIN from IRS

To change an existing EIN apply to the IRS for a new EIN by submitting a Form SS-4. (For more information, please see IRS Publication 1635.) You can request a new EIN by calling 800-829-4933, Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 10 pm local time.

Change your EIN

Once you have your new EIN, update QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.

  1. Go to Company. Then select My Company.
  2. Select the Edit icon in the Company Information section.
  3. Go to the Company Information tab.
  4. In the Federal Employer Identification No. field, enter the new EIN. Then select OK.
  5. Contact us so we can update your EIN in our records.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post