Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
20 helpful votes

Schedule C: Travel expenses

This category is specific to the cost of business travel (not personal). This category does not include any expenses for local meals or travel in or around your home location.

Note: You are not required to keep receipts for amounts less than $75, but you do need to document the purpose of the expense and how it relates to your business.

Examples include:

Important: Meals you eat while traveling away from home, either by yourself or with clients, don't fall into this category. Use the Meals and entertainment category instead.

  • Air, train, or bus fare for business travel
  • Hotel costs for business travel (except not meals)
  • Rental car expenses
  • Taxi, shuttle fares and transportation tips while out of town on business
  • Gas, oil, parking fees and tolls while out of town
  • Computer rental costs when away on business
  • Internet access fees when away on business
  • Phone calls when away on business
  • Tips while traveling (except for meal tips, which are only 50% deductible)
  • Dry cleaning if you have to stay overnight for business
  • Cost of shipping baggage, supplies, products, equipment necessary for business
  • Cost of storing baggage and equipment during a business trip
  • Late check-out charges, if you are required to stay overtime for business

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post

Need to get in touch?

Contact us