Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

1099's - wrong EIN

Our Quickbooks account was originally set up in 2015 with our CFO's SSN, but has since been corrected to reflect the corporation's EIN.  Our 1099's went out with the old SSN this year -- not sure how that happened, but how do I get this corrected with the IRS and our vendors?  I do not remember this being an issue last year.

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: 1099's - wrong EIN

Greetings, @kp0226.


As a business owner, the last thing you should have to worry about in this busy time of the year is filling your 1099 forms with incorrect  EIN. Allow me to share some details on how you can amend your tax forms.


For starters, corporations and partnerships are required to use an Employer's Identification Number or EIN in filling 1099 forms. On the other hand, sole proprietors are not required by IRS to file using their EIN. Instead, you can use Social Security Number or SSN in reporting your income and expenses.


Currently, the ability to make corrections with the e-filed 1099 is not yet available in QuickBooks Online. What you can do is to manually file an amendment to make corrections to 1099 forms that were already reported. 


Here's how to correct your 1099 forms:

  1. Submit correct form as soon as possible.
    1. Order 1099-MISC IRS FORM.
    2. Furnish a printed copy of your 1099 form Copy A with your Form 1096.
    3. Submit or mail it to the nearest Internal Revenue Service Center.
  2. Send updated copies to your vendors.

If you're having difficulty with the steps above, I'd recommend reaching out to our Payroll Support Team. A specialist will be able to further assist you via secured remote access session.
Here’s how to contact us:

  1. Go to:
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select Payroll.
  4. Choose your type of Payroll Subscription.
  5. Hit Payroll.
  6. Click on the View Contact Info button to see the support number.

Don't hesitate to click the Reply button if you have other questions about correcting your submitted tax forms. I'm always here to help.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us