What is a dispute?
- The cardholder disputes a transaction with their bank or credit card company. The bank creates a formal dispute which immediately reverses the payment. That payment amount, along with a separate $10.00 - $15.00 dispute fee (levied by the card network), is then deducted from your account balance.
Will the dispute fee get refunded?
- No, This fee is charged regardless of the outcome of the dispute (challenge, accept, win, or lose) and is non-refundable for all situations.
- This fee is charged in all scenarios and debited immediately from your undeposited funds, then applied to deposited funds as the next payout.
Can I challenge a dispute?
- Yes, There is a dispute resolution process through which you can respond with evidence to make your case that the payment was valid. If a dispute is upheld, the bank’s decision is final and the cardholder’s payment remains refunded.
How long will it take?
- There is a limited period of time that disputes can be responded to (usually 7-21 days). The amount of time available is provided within the dispute information. After that time has passed, no further responses or evidence can be submitted. If you choose to challenge the dispute and send evidence, it generally takes the cardholder’s bank 60-75 days to reach a final decision.
What will a dispute look like?
- The first indication you will see in your QuickBooks Online will likely be a "needs attention" on the right side of their home screen citing the charge in question. (see below)
- Once you click on the amount that "needs attention" you will be moved to the invoice that will explain the reason for dispute and charge. They will want to click on "Review and Respond" to learn more.
*** Note: You have until the "respond by" date to respond to dispute, or the your client will win the dispute.
- You will be navigated to this next pop up, and have the choice of how to respond to the dispute.
- If you choose to Accept the charge, you will get the following pop up. It will explain what accepting the dispute entitles, and give a little more detail on accepting the dispute. Once you select Accept Dispute the case will be closed and the funds will go back to your client.
***NOTE: If you Accept the dispute you will be charged the dispute fee of $10.00***
- If you choose to Challenge the dispute you will get to the below form. You should enter in everything you can regarding the original charge. You should then choose "send evidence" which will be added to the dispute case.
- Once the evidence of the dispute has been entered you will be able to see the status of the dispute by revisiting the transaction and selecting view dispute. You should watch for emails and messages inside your QuickBooks Online regarding the status of the dispute. If you do have any questions Please contact us at 1-844-512-7046.
- If you would like to know how to reconcile these charges you can select the option to "Update your books to reflect those debits" (seen below) and we will walk you through how to account for these charges in your QuickBooks.