Learn how to accept EMV debit cards with QuickBooks Point of Sale.
What is EMV?
EMV cards, often referred to as chip cards, are a Global credit and debit card payment standard. They are designed to make transactions more secure. EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard, and Visa (the developers of this standard).
What do I need to do to accept EMV cards?
Install the latest update. Doing so enables you to accept EMV debit cards with your PIN pad.
When making a debit sale on an EMV debit pint pad, there will be 2 options to choose from:
- US DEBIT: Selecting US DEBIT will create the traditional PIN request and ensure the transaction processes as a debit transaction.
- VISA DEBIT: This option gives the cardholder the choice to run their debit card as a credit card without entering their PIN. If this option is selected, the transaction will process as a credit card and not as a debit card transaction.
What happens if I do not update my QuickBooks Point of Sale
Starting September 1, 2019, if you process a counterfeit or stolen EMV chip card using a magnetic stripe card reader, you may be responsible for any chargebacks and fees resulting from the fraud pursuant to the terms of the Merchant Agreement.
How to update your Point of Sale software
- From your Point of Sale, go to Help > Software Updates > Check for Updates.
- Point of Sale will check for available updates.
- If an update is available, click Update Now.