Learn what you need to do for FORM 1099-MISC if you live in New Jersey and Wisconsin.
There are certain requirements you have to be aware of when filing Form 1099-MISC if you live in New Jersey and Wisconsin. In this article, we'll tell you what those are.
For information about the 1099 Wizard, see 1099 QuickBooks Wizard.
If you answer yes to either of these questions, then you are required to file a Form 1099-MISC to the state of New Jersey:
- Did you report $1000 or more in Box 7?
- Did you withhold any state income tax from payments reported in Box 7?
New Jersey requires you to have a New Jersey withholding ID. Your ID should be the abbreviation for New Jersey (NJ) and your 12 digit NJ withholding ID - Example: NJ 999-999-999/999
Get more information on filing 1099s to the state of New Jersey. Or contact the New Jersey Department of Treasury at 609-292-6748.
- Did you pay a 1099 contractor for a service or work done in Wisconsin?
- Did you pay the contractor $600 or more for this work or service?
The state of Wisconsin requires that boxes 16 and 17 are completed on Form 1099-MISC. You may be charged $10 for each 1099 form that is missing information in boxes 16 and 17. Here's how to be compliant.
If you withheld any Wisconsin state income tax from a payment you made to your contractor or vendor, you are required to have a Wisconsin withholding ID.
- Your ID should be the abbreviation for Wisconsin (WI) and your 15 digit WI withholding ID - Example: WI 999999999999999
- If you did not withhold state income tax and do not have any other requirement to have a Wisconsin withholding ID, then enter WI 036888888888801
For more information, please contact the Wisconsin Department of Revenue.