Learn how to print W-2 forms in QuickBooks Online Payroll.
Viewing and printing W-2 forms in QuickBooks Online is easy. In this article, we'll show you how.
Printing requirements for your W-2 forms
You can print the employee copies of Form W-2 on either four-part perforated paper or plain paper. It must be blank, not a pre-printed form.
You can order paper from Intuit by either calling the supplies group, 800-433-8810, or going online: https://intuitmarket.com/QBOHelpW2
You do not need to have special ink to print out your W-2's. It is acceptable to the IRS to print all portions of these forms in non-reflective black ink. You can find more information about Intuit's paper specifications in section 1B of Publication 1141 at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1141.pdf.
Before you print your W-2s, you need to select the paper you're using within your company payroll preferences. You can do this by following these steps.
- Select the Gear icon on the Toolbar, then Payroll Settings.
- Go to the Preferences list and select the Form Printing link.
- Select perforated or plain paper. Then select Okay.
- Plain paper W-2's are set up so the employee's address is visible through a single-window, standard No. 10 business envelope ((4-1/8" by 9-1/2", left-aligned window).
- Perforated paper W-2's show the employer and employee addresses in the double-windows of envelopes.
View and print W-2 forms
You can quickly access and print W-2 forms.
- From the left menu, select Taxes, then Payroll Tax.
- In the Forms section, select the Annual Forms link.
- Select either All Employees or a specific employee name from the drop down menu provided.
- Select the W-2, Copies B, C & 2 link. It takes you to the Printable Employee Copies: Form W-2 page.
- Choose the appropriate period from the drop down menu.
- Select View to launch Adobe Reader in a new window.
- Select the print icon on the Reader toolbar. Then select Print again.