Learn how to take over billing for clients who currently pay for their own QuickBooks Online subscription. We'll also show you how to transfer existing wholesale clients from another accounting firm.
In QuickBooks Online Accountant, you can do bookkeeping for your wholesale billing clients and clients who pay for QuickBooks Online on their own. However, wholesale billing clients get more long-term savings and peace of mind.
If a client currently pays for their subscription but wants to become part of your wholesale billing plan, you can take over their subscription. We'll stop billing your client, add them to your plan, and adjust your wholesale billing charges. Your firm covers the costs and billing for them from now on.
Step 1: Get invited to be your client's accountant
If you haven’t already, ask your client to invite you to become their accountant.
Step 2: Get permission to take over billing
Your client needs to give you permission to make the transfer:
- Ask your client's master admin to sign in to QuickBooks Online.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and settings.
- Select the Billing & Subscription tab.
- Select the Allow billing transfer to your accountant link.
- Select the name of the accounting firm you want to transfer billing to.
- Select Allow transfer.
Once your client gives you permission, you have two days to finish the transfer.
Step 3: Take over your client’s billing
After your client gives you permission, you can finish the transfer:
- In QuickBooks Online Accountant, go to Settings ⚙ and select Subscriptions and billing.
- Select the Your subscriptions tab.
- Select Add existing clients.
- Select the checkbox for your clients you want to add.
- Select Add clients.
If your client is currently part of another QuickBooks Online Accountant firm's wholesale billing plan, you can transfer them.
Step 1: Remove the client from the firm’s wholesale billing plan
Ask your client's previous accounting firm to remove them from their wholesale billing plan.
Tip: As long as you transfer your client within 60 days of being removed, they keep the same discounted rate.
Step 2: Add the client to your firm
Ask your client to invite you to become their accountant.
Step 3: Transfer your client’s subscription
Follow the steps in the "Add clients who pay for their own subscription to wholesale billing" section.