Learn how to open a client's QuickBooks company file from QuickBooks Online Accountant. After a client invites you to connect, you can access their accounting data to help with their bookkeeping. You can review their books, edit transactions, and fix issues. Here's how to open a client's QuickBooks Online company file from QuickBooks Online Accountant.
Note: Accountants can only access transaction data. If you also need to do administrative work for your client, follow these steps to become their primary admin.
Step 1: Connect a client's QuickBooks
If you haven't already, get invited by your client. This connects their QuickBooks company so you can access their transaction data.
To see who's already connected:
- In QuickBooks Online Accountant, go to the Clients menu.
- Review the list. Clients with a QuickBooks icon next to their name are connected.
Tip: You can select the icon to open their QuickBooks Online company file.
Step 2: Open a client's QuickBooks
- In QuickBooks Online Accountant, select the Go to QuickBooks link in the toolbar.
- Select the name of your client's QuickBooks company.
This opens your client's QuickBooks Online company file so can review and make edits.
Go back to QuickBooks Online Accountant
When you're finished bookkeeping:
- In the toolbar, select the dropdown with your client's company name. You used this link to open their company.
- Select Back to practice.