Learn how to change a recurring transaction template in QuickBooks Online.
Recurring templates can help you save time. You can make recurring templates to automatically create invoices, expenses, and other tasks you do regularly.
Here's how to edit templates and how these changes may affect items, customers, and company settings.
Edit a recurring template
- Go to Settings ⚙ and then select Recurring transactions.
- From the Action column, select Edit for the transaction you want to edit.
- Edit the template name, type, and the customer or payee name as needed.
- If you're editing a Scheduled or Reminder type template, you can adjust how far in advance QuickBooks creates the template or sends you a reminder. You can also set the frequency in the Interval section.
- Add or remove any product, service or category details in the details section.
- When you're done, select Save template.
Note: These changes only apply to the recurring template and transactions that use the template. It doesn't apply to other transactions in QuickBooks. To change another transaction you will need to go to the specific transaction to make updates directly.
How to change the service date on recurring transactions
Recurring transaction templates don't automatically populate the service date field on transactions. You'll need to find each transaction and manually enter the correct service date.
To find transactions recently created by a recurring template:
- Go to Reports (Take me there)
- Search for and run the Recent Automatic Transactions report.
- Set the report dates.
- Select Run report.
- Select the individual transaction to display it.
- Manually update the Service Date field to the date the service was actually performed.
- Select Save.