Learn what the audit log can do and how to use it to keep an audit trail.
QuickBooks Online keeps track of your activities in the audit log. You can see who made changes to your books and what they did.
Learn more about the audit log
QuickBooks Online records all your financial transactions in your chart of accounts.
Separately, it tracks user sign ins and changes to settings as well as edits to customers and suppliers and employees. QuickBooks records the following in the audit log:
- The date of any change to your books
- The name of the user who made the change
- The type of change or event
- The name of any customer or supplier related to the change
- Any original transaction date and amount
QuickBooks only records signouts when you select Sign out. It doesn't record sign outs if you close your browser, go to another website, or QuickBooks signs you out automatically due to inactivity.
Use the audit log
You need to sign in as an admin to access the audit log. Ask your master admin if you don’t see it.
- Go to Settings ⚙and select Audit Log.
- Select Filter.
- Use the fields on the Filter panel to choose the appropriate User, Date, or Events filter to narrow the results.
- Select Apply.
The audit log shows you 150 records at a time. For most transactions or events, select View in the History column to open the audit history. This tells you who made the change and what they did.
You may see something called an indirect edit. These record when someone changes a transaction that was already on your books, for instance, if someone edits a completed reconciliation.
Note: For audit and security reasons, you can't disable the audit log.
Get help with the audit log
If you see a user you don't recognise, don't worry. QuickBooks creates special users for a few specific situations. You don't need to do anything with these, but you may see them.
- Online Banking Administration: Shows a change related to your connected bank accounts made automatically by QuickBooks Online
- Support Representative: Shows changes made by a QuickBooks Online support consultant
- System Administration: Shows changes made automatically by QuickBooks Online