Learn how to import your QuickBooks Desktop company file to QuickBooks Online.
No need to start over again—just convert your desktop file to a QuickBooks Online company.
Step 1: Get your desktop file ready
- Make sure QuickBooks is up-to-date.
- To ensure that your Total Targets is less than 350,000, press Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard. If it exceeds, send your file to our Data Migration team so we can help convert your file.
Step 2: Import your desktop file to QuickBooks Online
|Note: You need to use a trial version to convert your file if you’re using a version older than 2018.|
- Sign in as an admin to the company file you need to import.
- Go to the Company menu, then select Export Company File to QuickBooks Online.
- Select Start your export.
- Sign in as an admin to your QuickBooks Online company.
- If you track stock in QuickBooks Desktop:
Note: Only QuickBooks Online Plus can track stock. It uses the FIFO method.
- Select Yes to bring them over, then specify the as of date.
- Select No if you want to set up new items later in QuickBooks Online.
- Select the Choose online company▼ dropdown, and choose the QuickBooks Online company you want to be replaced by your company file.
- Select Continue.
- Enter “Agree” in the text field, then select Replace.
- Select Yes, go ahead and replace the data, then select Replace.
With your company all set up, let's get you started with QuickBooks Online.