Level 1

Time tracking for Independent Contractors in QBs Accountant

I have an independent contractor that manages three of my QBO clients.  I have her set up as a Team Member with custom access.  However, I can not FOR THE LIFE OF ME figure out how to get her set up to input her time into my firm's QBO.  There is no selection for "time tracking" as most of the articles suggest.  I called and spoke with a QBs agent and haven't received any assistance on how to accomplish this.  If anyone currently uses the QBO Accountant and has independent contractors that input time into their firm QBs file, please let me know.  I know I can set them up as an employee, but this makes things hairy for independent contractor vs. employee separation.

Level 3

Do more with QuickBooks

I don't have experience with independent contractors and time tracking in QBO but I did find an article that may be helpful to you: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145250-turn-on-and-set-up-time-tracking

FYI, Time tracking is not available in QBO Simple Start. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do more with QuickBooks

Hey @lswilburncpa,

There should be a Weekly Timesheet feature if you click the Global Create (+) Icon listed under "Employees." You can use this to track employees’ billable hours. Once entered, these will automatically populate in a side menu on the next invoice you send to your client. In one click, they’re added. 

Timesheet - Copy.PNG

There's a bit more about the Weekly Timesheet if you're interested. Hope this helps!

Level 1

Do more with QuickBooks

YES, for employees this does work.. However, I am wanting this functionality with Independent Contractors, not employees.  That seems to be where the issues lies.

QuickBooks Team

Do more with QuickBooks

Hi lswilburncpa,

Adding time data is important because it is the basis for billing. The good thing is your contactor is already added as a Team member, which means you can modify her access to give the ability to track her time. Let's change that setting.

1. From the Navigation menu, select Team.
  2. Click the name of the independent contractor to open her profile.
  3. Select the Firm Administration and Books tab.
  4. Under YOUR FIRM ADMINISTRATION, change the Firm users to View only.
  5. Under YOUR FIRM BOOKS, select Yes for Customers and accounts receivable and Vendors and accounts payable.
  6. Select Save.

This article has more details about giving someone the ability to track time: How to track time in QuickBooks Online Accountant?

After changing the user’s access, you can let her track time for herself.

1. Click on +New.
  2. Select Single time activity or Weekly timesheet.
  3. In the Name field, she can select her contractor name.
  4. Enter the time data and other details.
  5. Click Save and close.

timesheet.PNG

Feel free to go back to this thread and share how your contractor finds this feature.