We just moved into a new office and we have a new internet server. We have quickbooks 2019 pro on two different computers. 2 users at the same time set up on multi user mode. However, once we moved the computer where the files are not located on can no longer load the quickbooks files. It says it cannot locate the files. Is this a netw
Great job setting up QuickBooks Desktop in multi user mode at your new office. I can help point you in the right direction with getting your files open.
QuickBooks Desktop's multi user feature makes it easy to have multiple people log into one company file at a time. When opening up a company file for the first time using multi user mode you need to make sure you run the database server manager to make sure the location is properly set up for multi user mode. In order to scan the company file with the database server manager you can follow the steps in this article. After it's been scanned you should also make sure that you turn network discovery on and password protected sharing off. You can make sure this is set up on the computer that has the files on it by following these steps.
- Open Control Panel.
- Choose Network and Sharing Centre, then select Change advanced sharing settings.
- Expand the Profile type that you are currently using.
- Under Network Discovery, select Turn on network discovery.
- Under Password protected sharing, select Turn off password protected sharing.
- Select Save changes.
I suggest also trying to open the file manually instead of using the recently opened menu by following these steps.
- From the File menu, select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Open a company file, then Next.
- Browse the location of the company file.
Example: if your company file is mapped to drive E, look for Company Files Name (E:) in the list.
- Select the company file (with file extension .qbw) from the list and select Open.
- If prompted, enter your user name and password.
Should you still get an issue with it saying it's not able to locate the files then it's most likely due to a network issue which you should reach out to an IT professional to help.
Have a great one!
So the host's computer is connected to the internet via wifi but the other computer is on an ethernet cable, is this why this isn't working? Because the host computer has the all the things you suggested already on. Thanks!
Hi mbotelho. I see what's happening. Based on what you've described, the reason why you're unable to locate your file is that you've connected the host computer to Wi-Fi which isn't a network. I'd recommend contacting your IT specialist to set up a network so you can take advantage of the multi-user mode. Feel free to ask questions.