QuickBooks Team
This widget could not be displayed.

Re: How to correct an entry

Hello there, Zippygal.

I'd be happy to help you handle bills paid using check in QuickBooks Desktop.

Since you've paid a bill by creating a check, the bill will remain in unpaid status. To correct this, we'll need to link your check to the bill entered from last year. Before doing so, let's change the check's Expense account to Accounts Payable.

1. Open the check.
  2. Select the Customer: Job drop-down, then choose the vendor name. If you do not enter a name, QuickBooks will ask you to choose a vendor for the Accounts Payable line item.
  3. Select Save & Close.

Once done, you can now pay the Bill. 

1. Go to the Vendors menu.
  2. Select Pay Bills.
  3. Select the Bill corresponding to the Check.
  4. Select Set Credits, then go to the Credits tab.
  5. Put a check on the credit.
  6. Select Done, then choose Pay Selected Bills.

You can refer to this article for the steps on how to link the check to the bill in QuickBooks Desktop: Bill shows as unpaid after writing a check.

However, if your books are closed, you'll have to use a clearing account and create a Journal Entry.

The following articles will provide an overview on how to use clearing account and journal entries in QuickBooks Desktop: Set up a clearing account.

Prior to doing this, I'd still recommend consulting your accountant's advise to know what accounts should be affected when you create a journal entry.

This will keep you on the right track. Reach back to me if you have follow-up questions about the process. I'd be more than happy to keep helping.

View solution in original post