These negative amounts are usually caused by Credit Memo entries, over-payments, or possible duplicate payments.
If these are deposits, the best way to remove them is to apply these as a credit to an invoice. Here's how:
- Go to the Customers menu, then select Create Invoices.
- Choose the customer from the Customer: Job drop-down.
- Enter the necessary information.
- Click Apply Credits.
- Hit Yes to confirm the changes.
- In the Apply Credits window, select the deposit from the Credits tab. (Make sure the amount is the same with the invoice)
- Click Done. (The invoice will be marked as paid)
- Hit Save & Close to save the invoice.
Once done, you can now review the Accounts Receivable if the negative amounts are already removed.
You can refer to these articles to learn more about Accounts Receivables in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Resolve AR and AP balances on the cash basis Balance Sheet.
- AR balance on the Chart of Accounts does not match AR balance on reports.
Feel free to get back to me if you need more help with QuickBooks invoices. I'd be happy to help.