Level 1

using the QB .ini file

it has been a few years since I used such, but I recall I was able to use the INI file to help setup new accounts and structures from old.  Is there some instruction I can review to show me the processes

Solved
Community Champion

Account management

I couldn't find much in a google search on the .ini file in qb except what to do when it is broken.  Here is that link.  they are a reliable source of information.  There are a few others here on the forum that are really proficient in Desktop and the things that go wrong with data files here.  Maybe one will jump in.   :)

Level 15

Account management

.ini = Filetype = Initialization settings for Windows Programs.

You will find .ini files for QB program, for QBUser names, for Printers, even.

They maintain info, such as opening Full screen or with internal functions positioned left or right; colors and fonts. You know the No Company Open screen lists the Recently Opened Files? That's maintained in an ".ini" file, as is the Backups by name and location, for managing "Limit the number of backups to keep."

"to help setup new accounts and structures from old"

Not really part of the QB Company data file. Think of this more as an Aspect of storing settings, not New Accounts or structures. This includes that stupic Marketing message, bottom left of the Shortcuts sidebar, for instance.

Open any QB file. Press F2, then F3. Go to the Open File tab. Find QBW.ini and click on the Open File Button. View it to see what is in it. It opens in Notepad. Then Close it and Click to deselect it. Click to select and open QBWUSER.ini.

They don't have much to do with the Company data files.

View solution in original post

Level 1

Account management

Thank you for your response.  As I continue to look for what I recall, as you can see very dimmly, I think that instead of the INI file it must have been the IIF file that is reference in the File - Utilites - Import/Export section.  Was this where you could export things like vendor list, customer list and other account items from an old to new having same lists.  Part of my search is:  is there a place to transfer or copy the Customize Icon Taskbar of one company to a new set up or to another company?

Level 15

Account management

.iif "Intuit Interchange Format" is how you can Export and Import data, and an old school "integration" function, before API, XML, SDK, etc.

Customize Icon Bar (shortcuts sidebar, now) is done directly in the file. Write down the selections, use that to set the icon bar in the other file. Or, for the other username.

Depending on what you need, you also can Make a backup, Restore it to a New Name, use Utilities (in QB for US), Condense, Remove All transactions. That keeps lists, settings, etc.