QuickBooks Team

Account management

Hello bwk_admin,

It's nice to see you in the Community again. I was wanting to take a moment to elaborate on some of the information that you shared. 

First, I'd like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to provide the Community the workflow that you employ for backing up your QuickBooks Online (QBO) data, as well as insight on why you feel some companies want this. I'd like to ensure that you have information about all of the options available so that your firm can get the most out of QBO.

Your post is correct in that a user needs to utilize Internet Explorer to export from QuickBooks Online to Desktop. I recommend the following guide as it provides detailed steps on the export process: Export Data File from QuickBooks Online to Desktop.

Since you mentioned the chance of a person unfamiliar with QBO or multiple bookkeepers jumbling up data for a company, I wanted to include that there are tutorials that can help a user to get acclimated with the software and get the best benefit from it. You can access these tutorials at the following link: QuickBooks Tutorials. Additionally, if you should ever suspect that a user may have done some work that was less than ideal, I recommend reviewing the Audit Log. One benefit of the Audit Log is that it can be filtered by a user so that you can review what changes were performed by them. Here's how:

1. Select the Gear icon.
  2. Click Audit Log
  3. Select the Filter button at the top left of the screen.
  4. Choose the person that you'd like to review in the User section. 
  5. Apply any additional filtering that will make the review easier. 
  6. Click Apply

The following video is a demonstration of this process:

An alternative option that you have is to export information from QBO to Excel and I'm including a guide with instructions on how: Export QuickBooks Online Reports to Excel. Additionally, you may wish to consider an App for backup functionality. You can review them by going to the following link or by selecting Apps on the left navigation menu within QuickBooks Online: QuickBooks Online Apps

Lastly, I can see how additional options for backing up a QBO company could be beneficial to you and your firm. I encourage you to leave feedback, which is forwarded to the Development Team for review when determining new functionality to be added with updates. QuickBooks Online is constantly evolving, with much of this being the result of the voice of users, like yourself. You can do this from within QBO by selecting the Gear icon and selecting Feedback. I'm going to submit feedback from my side as well. 

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assistance. Have a wonderful rest of your day.