Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious...

I have to agree with the overall sentiment in this thread.  The arbitrary and sudden increase also comes with NO additional value added.  So I can't even tell my clients that the price increase is due to new features or functionality.  In fact, features that go through the lab rarely make it into the software.

This is a huge price for what amounts to a very basic accounting system.  I say "very basic" because even a basic accounting system should include more flexible reporting editors, a much better budgeting tool, and especially an asset manager.  Not to mention TO THIS DAY we can't lock prior periods without locking down all the estimates and invoices.

Plus to get any kind of robust feature set I'm constantly pushing my clients to additional monthly expense add-ons.  TSheets, Knowify, Fathom, etc... by the time I'm done providing a functional accounting system the business owner is looking at $175-$250 in monthly software.  That's not even including the new advanced pricing which is a total budget blowout.

I'm seriously worried this is going to send my bigger clients right back to Quickbooks Desktop or they are going to start pressuring me to use Xero or Wave.

Content Leader

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious...

Hello, Tom_Synergeant.

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community and sharing your thoughts on this matter. I'd like to provide some additional information about QuickBooks Online Advanced.

After much planning and consideration, Intuit has introduced the new and improved version of the Online product, known as Advanced. This new tier offers the features you have come to know and love, along with smart reporting, the ability to import invoices, and a dedicated personal Success Manager. All of this combined will allow you to work even more efficiently. You can view a comparison chart and pricing options by following this link: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accounting/advanced/.

Regarding the new usage limits terms, if you are currently over 40 Classes or Locations, you will be able to keep these and use them with full functionality without having to upgrade. With the usage limits in place, the difference you'll see is that you wouldn't be able to make an item in this group inactive then active again, or add a new Class or Location. This also applies to the Chart of Accounts, with a limit of 250, and Users, with a limit of 5, in the Plus version. You can view your current usage by:

1. Clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner.

2. Choose Account and Settings.

3. Select Usage.

Large amounts of Accounts, Classes, and Users are markers of an intricate company. If you do require more entities in these areas, then you would need to upgrade to Advanced. I've got an article for you that details the new usage conditions. You can check it out here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/What-are-usage-limits-in-QuickBooks-Online/m-p....

I wish you and your business continued success. If you have any further questions, please feel free to comment below.

Community Explorer *

this whole chart of accounts limit is ridiculous.  I do NOT need any of the other "features" of advanced, this is just a money grab.  250 accounts is an incredibly low number of accounts - what does Intuit care about how many accounts are used?  Number of users, yes, number of accounts, NO REASON FOR THIS LIMIT.  I will definately be looking into other options for the companies I work with that use QBO and will not be adding any companies I work for on QBO.

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

@Tom_Synergeant 

RE: I'm seriously worried this is going to send my bigger clients right back to Quickbooks Desktop or they are going to start pressuring me to use Xero or Wave.

I wouldn't be worried, exactly, but when your clients do start doing this, they'll be getting a better deal and a better application with far more features, stability, and usefulness.

BRC

@tdavenport 

RE: number of accounts, NO REASON FOR THIS LIMIT.

I can think of one reason:  Money.

@tdavenport wrote:

250 accounts is an incredibly low number of accounts 

250 accounts is way more than enough.  Most of the files I work on have less than 100.  I'm curious why you want so many accounts? It sounds to me like you are doing something wrong. Do they all have balances?

@Malcolm Ziman wrote:

@tdavenport wrote:

250 accounts is an incredibly low number of accounts 

250 accounts is way more than enough.  Most of the files I work on have less than 100.  I'm curious why you want so many accounts? It sounds to me like you are doing something wrong. Do they all have balances?

@Malcolm Ziman I have in our real estate rental company nearly 250 accounts just in fixed assets and long term liabilities, 30+ bank type accounts and that does not even get to income and expense. I would have even more if I had a separate accumulated depreciation account for each asset instead of just one. That's just the main company. 8+ other entities, not as large but this is just another reason why online is a poor choice for many normal sized operations.

@john-pero wrote:

I have in our real estate rental company nearly 250 accounts just in fixed assets and long term liabilities

I am trying to understand why you have 250 accounts just in fixed assets and long term liabilities.  Is each refrigerator a separate account?

Not applicable

I already had a 5-entity Group force me to push them back to Desktop, after having to waste everyone's time with new sales pitches for things like Fathom, etc + the latest re-explanation of our functionality being turned off due to our useage limits.... it's .... beyond ridiculous.  It's intrusive.  It's greedy.

Not applicable

These copy/pastes are;

* Boilerplate

* Redundant

* Insulting (suggests we haven't read the details prior to commenting)

* Unnecessary (See above)

Content Leader

Hello, scottking1011.

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

I can assure you this new product release is not a price increase and you will not be forced to upgrade to the Advanced program. If you are over any of the usage limits, you'll be able to use these items as normal, but won't be able to add any more. You can check your current usage by:

1. Clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner.
2. Choose Account and Settings.
3. Select Usage.

This link will take you to an outline of the new usage terms: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Help-Articles/What-are-usage-limits-in-QuickBooks-Online/m-p...

My goal is to relay details and helpful articles about the new product for users who are unaware. Some posts from Intuit employees may come across as repeated data. This is only to answer similar questions in comparable threads.

I'll do my part and pass your feedback regarding QBO Advanced along to the Product Development Team for review.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Not applicable

[removed by moderator - posting the same comment into multiple threads, including ones that do not apply to your situation is considered spamming and is not allowed]

Content Leader

Hi there, ProfessorRod.

I appreciate you following up on this thread and providing me with details about your business setup.

The release of QuickBooks Online Advanced won't affect your current subscription price. You'll also not be forced to upgrade to this new version of the program. As the business manager, you'll be able to use all of the budget line items as normal. You can make any necessary entries and modifications in this area without change. The difference with Advanced is that you wouldn't be able to add any more entities to the chart after the effective date in April without upgrading.

The link in my post above will explain the new usage limits. I can also relay your thoughts to the Product Development Team.

I'll be here if you have any other questions.

Not applicable

Please remove that annoying red flag box with an exclamation point in the chart of accounts /that says you are using xyz accounts 'learn how to manage user limits'

@DavidSC wrote:

To clarify a few things, QuickBooks is evolving to keep pace with businesses as they grow and to ensure that customers are working with the plan that’s the best fit for them. To do that, we revised our plans and added usage limits to match the capabilities of our products.

So, you readily admit that the existing products fall far short of what, expectations, comparable competition, QB desktop? Admitting that QBO Plus is not capable of handling more than 40 classes? That capability has always been there and worked just fine - well as fine as QBO can work. If the declared shortcoming of Plus is that it has never been able to handle 41 classes - I might be able to understand. No, yo are not adding usage limits to match the capabilities, you are reducing the capabilities by adding usage linmits.

But, go drink your KoolAid, it's getting warm and the sugar is settling out.

Not applicable

It's a test to see how stupid we are.  Over the years, Intuit's succeeded pretty well in seeing how far they can take things with us.  It's not as if we work with a multitude of businesses and different situations each day and can see a blatant cash grab when it's right in front of us.  At any rate; my trust has been fully eroded at this point.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious and unnecessary way to bilk users out of more money.

I am switching to Appfolio.  Makes no sense to pay $150 for QB when I can get a full service property management program for $250. Bye Bye QB

Re: I just want to express how pathetic I think the usage limits are. It appears to be an obvious and unnecessary way to bilk users out of more money.

@Anonymous wrote:

I am switching to Appfolio.  Makes no sense to pay $150 for QB when I can get a full service property management program for $250. Bye Bye QB

You do know that is $250 per month, right? Minimum charge. from 1- 200 units. And if you wanted to export the data (say to QB desktop) the minimum is $1200/month.

And as long as you do not have employees since I have yet to find a property management software suite that includes payroll.

Granted, in my experience, only small parttime landlords can get by with only QB as the CRM capabilities of any version of QB are non-existent.  I have tried several PM software from PropertyBoss to DIYRes(Yardi) and looked at AppFolio and even the cheaper Buildium but few will sync to QB as easily as propertyware does - some, like AppFolio will not even sync to QBDesktop, let alone QBO.

I have a dozen companies in desktop and in actuality with a legacy product, I pay nothing for Desktop - it is included free each year with my payroll subscription. Of that 12 I sync 8 currently from p-ware to QBDT.

Spoiler> I pay more per month for property management software than I do annually for payroll subscription but would never pay more for QB itself

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.  Appfolio will cost $250 per month but we've always needed a customer based/repair log anyways and I've just been putting it off because I was used to QB desktop.  The whole reason why I went with the Online version is because I use a Mac and their Mac desktop version is horrible and I wanted cloud based for assistants to do input.  I use an outside payroll company so I don't need payroll functions.   

It's true that most property management software don't have great or easy accounting functions but I have to start somewhere.  I'm planning of dropping QBO all together.  

Thanks for your input...what property management software do you use?

Frequent Explorer *

Its especially going to hurt anyone who uses QBO to manage their Real Estate Management and Investment portfolios. Most likely I'll be switching back to a Desktop version that doesn't impose artificial limits on classes and CoAs and if desktop versions imposes these restrictions I'll be looking elsewhere. There is zero chance I'll pay $120/mo. for advanced. The extra features do not benefit my business only the unrestricted limits. It'll be difficult to stay under the 250 CoA limit but it will be impossible to stay under the 40 class limit as each property is categorized as a class.

Not applicable

Quickbooks keeps saying that you can still use Quickbooks as you normally do, you just cannot add new accounts.  That MEANS I cannot use it as I normally do!  What do I do now when I get a new tenant?  I track all the tenant security deposits in quickbooks as liabilities.  That is just one example of things I will now have to move to tracking outside of Quickbooks, which really makes me wonder why I am using Quickbooks at all.  This biggest thing that has kept me using Quickbooks has been the pain to switch to other was too high, but, going from paying $60 per month to paying $150 is out of this world in terms of an increase, and makes some of the other options out there look a lot better.

BRC

RE: Quickbooks keeps saying that you can still use Quickbooks as you normally do, you just cannot add new accounts. That MEANS I cannot use it as I normally do!

Yes, exactly.  Intuit's reassurances ring hollow.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep.  Anyone using classes for tenants is getting the shaft :/

Community Contributor **

Our goal is to make sure that your product meets your needs. Usage limits help ensure that as your business grows, you're using the version of QuickBooks that has all the tools you need to get deeper insights, save time, and be more productive.

above is  the INTUIT characterizaton  of the new limits.  Apparently we users are too stupid to realize what tools we need to gain deeeeeep insight.  thank goodness we have the kind folks at intuit looking out for our best interest--we are all much too ignorant to choose what tools we need.  

I would  be upset about another simple price increase, but to unilaterally remove features (and the number of accounts etc are all features) of the product that we all signed up for, have been paying for, and have built our accounting and reporting around--to remove those features and render the product unusable if we ever grow by one account AND to tell us that is not a price increase is incredibly insincere and condescending.

I use QB to manage my farm, and I may lack deep insight but I do know pure unmitigated Bull Sh*# when I see it.

Not applicable

I need more than 250 accounts, but have no use for any of the other advanced features. I am not happy to have to pay twice as much just to get the same functionality that I had before.