PayChex makes three debits from my payroll account each payroll. When I download these transactions, the payee name is different each time. For some unknown reason PayChex included the date of the payroll as part of the payee string. Stupid! Is there a way to enter a renaming rule that lets me match "PayChex Payroll Wages 0512" as "PayChex*Wages*"?
Thanks for the help,
Re: Renaming Rules
A warm welcome from the Community, @cjm51213.
You can create a rule that renames the payee by setting the right information to match the downloaded transactions to the existing one in QuickBooks.
- Go to the Banking menu.
- Select Bank Feeds, then Bank Feeds Center.
- Pick Rules next to Add Account at the left of the Bank Feeds screen.
- Click Manage Rules and select Add New.
- Enter Rule Name.
- Choose Contains on the Description field, then type in the description on your downloaded transactions. Click the Plus icon if you wish to add another Description.
- On the Do This section, select Rename, then choose a payee on The Payee Field To drop-down. Click the Plus icon if you want to add a Rename or Categorize.
- Hit Save.
Everything you need to know about this topic is found in this article: Use renaming rules for Bank Feeds.
That should get you pointed in the right direction.
Let me know how everything turns out, or if you have any issues, after following those steps. I’m always ready to help. Have a good one!