Level 2

unapply a journal entry credit

how to unapply a journal entry credit that was applied to another journal entry.

QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Hi bchannah,


You'll want to reverse a journal entry to correct the transactions in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

Click the Gear icon.

  1. Select Chart of Accounts.
  2. Locate the appropriate account for the transaction.
  3. From the Action column, click View register.
  4. Select the journal entry and click Edit.
  5. In the transaction window, select Reverse. When you reverse the journal entry, a new entry is created with the original Entry no. followed by an R, dated the first day of the month following the original transaction, and the original transaction's Debit and Credit amounts reversed. All other information, such as the Account, Name, and Description for each distribution line, remains the same as in the original transaction.
  6. Click Save and close.

You can also follow these steps if the journal entry created by mistake.

  1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Select Chart of Accounts.
  3. Locate the appropriate account for the transaction.
  4. From the Action column, select View register.
  5. Select the journal entry and click Delete.
  6. Click Yes to confirm that you want to delete the transaction.

However, I still recommend reaching out to your accountant for other ways on how to unapply a journal entry credit.


In case you'll want to reconcile an account, please check out this article: Reconcile an account in QuickBooks Online.


You can always get back into this post if you have more questions.