You can select the Bonus only option to Direct Deposit (DD) a bonus check in your QuickBooks Online (QBO) account. This way, you don't have to add a pay period. Let me guide you how.
In your QBO:
- Go to the Workers menu and select the Employees tab.
- Select Bonus only from the Run payroll drop-down menu.
- Choose either As net pay or As gross pay and click Continue.
- Select the employee for the bonus check and enter the amount.
- Click the edit (pencil) icon beside the Payroll options.
- Choose the payroll options you want and click Apply.
- Click preview and submit payroll.
For more details, you can check this great article (read QuickBooks Online Payroll section): Pay an employee bonus.
In case you need to reimburse your employee, you can read this article for the details: Reimburse an employee.
Please let me know if ever you need anything else. I'd be more than happy to help you. Stay safe and have a great day!