Level 2

Quickbooks stopped withholding taxes this pay period

Quickbooks stopped withholding taxes this pay period .   It does not withhold Federal, State, Social Security, or Medicare. My Quickbook Payroll subscription renewed in June 2020 so should be good for another 8 months. When I go to Employees -> My Payroll Service -> Account/Billing Information, it says "Intuit QuickBooks Payroll Annual Enhanced - Status Active" at the top. Under Billing Details it says "Renewal Date: June 15, 2021."  The pay amount is enough that taxes should be withheld. I am using Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2019.

Solved
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

I'm determined to ensure that your taxes are withheld without a hitch, @SteveDonoho.

First, let's run the payroll update to ensure that you have the latest tax table version.

1. Go to the Employees menu and select Get Payroll Updates.
    Capture.JPG
  2. Check the Download Entire Update checkbox.
  3. Select Download Latest Update.
  4. You'll see a pop-up when the update is complete. 

Do you know if these employees are meeting the wage bases set by the IRS? You can click on this link to learn the wage base limit: Topic No. 751 Social Security and Medicare Withholding Rates

If you're getting the same result, it's possible that their W-4 status has been set to 'Do Not Withhold' by mistake. Here's how to check if an employee was set to Do Not Withhold (Exempt):

1. Go to the Employees menu, then select Employee Center.
  2. Double-click on the employee’s name.
  3. Go to the Payroll Info tab, then select Taxes.
  4. Check the Filing Status under the Federal and State tabs.

You can check out this article for more information: 0.00 or no income tax withheld from paycheck.

To give you more troubleshooting steps on what to do if payroll taxes are not calculating, please visit these resources:

Please let me know if you need further assistance with payroll. I'm always around to help. Have a good one.

Level 2

Employees and payroll

Thank you, but I did the following, and still no taxes withheld:
1. Ran payroll update.
2. Checked W-4 status. Set to Married Filing Jointly for Federal and Withhold for state.
3. Employees are earning enough that Federal, State, SS, & Medicare should be being withheld.
4. Employees have not surpassed social security wage limit.

5. Ran Update Quickbooks Desktop then restarted computer and restarted Quickbooks.

6. Even went into W-4 and specified that $100 "Extra Withholding" should be withheld each pay period. 
Still nothing. Any other ideas?

Level 2

Employees and payroll

Thank you, but I did the following, and still no taxes withheld:
1. Ran payroll update.
2. Checked W-4 status. Set to Married Filing Jointly for Federal and Withhold for state.
3. Employees are earning enough that Federal, State, SS, & Medicare should be being withheld.
4. Employees have not surpassed social security wage limit.

5. Ran "Update QuickBooks Desktop" then restarted computer then restarted Quickbooks.

6. Went into W-4 and specified that $100 "Extra Withholding" should be withheld each pay period. Still nothing withheld.
Any other ideas?

QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Thanks for actively responding, @SteveDonoho. I appreciate you for doing all the possible troubleshooting to fix the issue. 

Since the withholding taxes are still not calculating even after performing all the fixes, I'd recommend contacting our QuickBooks Payroll team. They can check your account to identify what's causing this to happen and help you resolve the problem. 

For future reference, read through these articles to learn more about Federal forms instructions for the coming tax season: 

Feel free to get back and post some more questions here in the Community, @SteveDonoho. I'd be happy to answer your next posts. 

Level 2

Employees and payroll

Here is what fixed it:

1. Get payroll updates

2. Select Employees -> Pay Employees

3. For any employees whose name is highlighted in yellow, right click on employee name and choose Revert Paycheck.

4. Do payroll for those employees again.

View solution in original post