Responsibility to correct W-2
- Client had wrong name and old address in Quickbooks for an employee who briefly worked for him in early 2018.
- W-2 was issued to the old address with the wrong name.
- W-2 was returned to us as undeliverable.
- Client reached out to ex-employee to get updated address, with the intention of issuing a corrected W-2 with the correct name and updated address.
- Ex-employee is not returning client's attempts to contact her.
Question: What is our best course of action...
A) do nothing?
B) issue corrected W-2 with the correct name, leaving the old address?
C) Something else?
Re: Responsibility to correct W-2
B. It is the employer responsibility to issue W2 with correct name and SS#. Since the name is wrong what went to IRS is wrong and you need to create a W2C. You only are obligated to use last known address so send the correct name W2c to that address. If it still comes back you have done all you need do other than hold onto that W2c for 7 years (maybe)