Great question! I'm happy to help you with recording the vacation overage for your salaried employee. Whether you're using QuickBooks Online's Standard or Advanced Payroll service, there's a way to do this. I'll outline each of the options below.
Here are the steps to take for Standard Payroll.
- Select Employees from the left menu.
- Click Run payroll.
- Click on the salary amount (in blue) for the employee in question.
- Select Adjust salary this time only.
- Enter in the amount of hours the employee went over in vacation. These hours will be unpaid and deducted from their normal salary.
- Click Apply.
- Proceed with running payroll.
That's all it takes.
Next here are the steps for Advanced Payroll.
- Select Employees from the left-hand menu.
- Click Run payroll.
- Select the Pay group and click Next.
- Click Process beside the appropriate Pay period.
- Enter hours as usual for your hourly employees on the next screen. (Note: if no hourly employees are being paid, make sure to toggle to NO for the paying option). Click Next.
- On the salary employee screen, follow these steps.
- Calculate an hourly rate by dividing the Normal Pay amount by the Hours automatically entered in the first column.
- Multiply the hourly rate calculated in the previous step by the vacation hours the employee went over.
- Subtract the Normal Pay minus the total from the previous step. Enter this in the Current Pay field.
- Subtract the preset Hours minus the hours the employee went over. Enter this new total in the Hours field in the first column.
- Ensure Pay is toggled ON and click Next.
- Click View Details to show the payroll report and verify the calculations and other information. Exit out of that window when done.
- Check the box I confirm that I have reviewed the details for this payroll, the hours, earnings and deductions for all employees. All numbers have been verified and are ready for final processing.
- Click Approve.
Learn more about QuickBooks Online's payroll services here: Standard and advanced payroll features
To get a hand with any of these steps, feel free to get in touch with our support team using one of the following methods.
Phone: 1-833-317-2226 from Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET
Chat: click (?)Help in the upper right > click Contact Us > explain your situation > click Let's Talk > choose Start a Chat
Have a great evening!