Learn how to delete a tax payment in Online Payroll.
In certain circumstances, and within certain time limitations, you can delete a Tax payment. In this article we'll explain how for Intuit Online Payroll and QuickBooks Online Payroll.
Requirements for deleting a tax payment
There are certain circumstances and time periods when you can and can't delete a tax payment.
You can delete a payment if:
- The tax payment is manually recorded (non-electronic payments).
- The electronic payment has not been processed yet.
You can't delete a payment if:
- The tax payment is in process or already processed electronically.
- The form along with the payment was already transmitted or accepted by the agency.
- The payment was rejected due to insufficient funds (NSF).
- You can delete Federal tax payment two business days prior to the payment date. Before 5pm PST.
- States have different lead time for processing tax payments. Some states may take up to five business days. If the lead time for your state is five business days, you need to delete the payment five business days prior to the payment date. Before 5pm PST.
Delete a tax payment
Intuit Online Payroll - 3 scenarios
Scenario 1: If you aren't ready to make the tax payment and you haven't approved it yet, follow these steps:
- Select Taxes & Forms. Then select Pay Taxes. (Note: If you created a tax payment that you haven't yet approved, you'll see an Approve button).
- Select Approve.
- On the Approve Payment page, find the payment. In the Delete column, select X.
- Select Yes to confirm.
Scenario 2: If you have approved the payment and you paid the taxes manually (such as by mailing a check), follow these steps:
- Select Reports. Then select Employer Reports.
- From the drop-down, select Tax Payments. Then select Go.
- Go to the Payment Date column. And select the date of the payment.
- Select Delete. Then select Yes to confirm that you want to delete the payment.
Scenario 3: If you have approved the payment and you paid the taxes electronically, you can't delete an electronic tax payment.
- If an electronic federal 941 payment failed (for example, because of insufficient funds), our system will allow you to create the payment again. If you’re not able to create it again, or if the payment was for federal 940 or 944 taxes, contact us.
- If there’s an issue with an electronic state tax payment, contact us. Generally, we can't delete a state e-payment. However, we might be able to help you resolve the issue.
QuickBooks Online Payroll
- Select Taxes. And then select Payroll tax.
- Select View tax payments you have made under Taxes.
- Select the name of the tax payment. Change the date range if necessary.
- From the drop-down, select Delete.
- Select Yes to confirm deletion.
For taxes you cannot delete, contact us for assistance.