Learn how to update your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) with Intuit Online Payroll Full Service and QuickBooks Online Payroll Full Service, Core, Premium, and Elite.
A business gets a new FEIN when it undergoes an Entity Change such as the following:
- Business structure change (e.g. moving from a sole proprietor to a corporation)
- Ownership change (e.g. purchase or divestiture of an existing business)
Note: This process also applies when an incorrect FEIN was entered (either accidentally or inadvertently) and payments have already been made.
To make changes to your account:
- Download the Entity change packet and fill it out.
- Make sure to fill it out completely. Any missing or incomplete information will delay the process.
- Only the Primary Officer (or legal signer) of the company may sign the Entity Change packet. Payroll admins, CPAs, attorneys (in most circumstances), and bookkeepers can’t sign due to legal reasons.
- Ensure you have the supporting documents mentioned in the packet.
- Send the packet with the following supporting documents by email to EntityChanges@intuit.com (recommended) or by fax to 877-471-2801.
- If you're also changing the bank account you use to fund your payroll, contact us to make the change. Go to the Help section in your payroll account.
- You'll receive an email confirmation that we've received your Entity Change packet and the supporting documents within 2 to 3 business days.
- Continue using your existing account to run payroll until you are contacted by a Payroll agent.
- For any questions about the Entity Change process, email EntityChanges@intuit.com.