I have upgraded one of our companies that was on QB 2015. However, we have another one on QB 2014. I would like to upgrade the other company also. Do I back up the company and add it as a new one?
If I do a open previous comp
Thank you for reaching out to the Community. It' my priority to help you sort this out, @mom2mastiffs.
There will be no problem in upgrading your QuickBooks Desktop 2014 to the latest version. I'd be happy to walk you through the steps on how to upgrade it.
First off, we'll need to create a backup file to make sure that the data will be saved before upgrading. To begin, let's perform the following steps to back up your company file:
- On the File menu, select Back Up Company, then choose Create Local Backup.
- Choose Local Backup.
- Click Options.
- In the Tell us where to save your backup copies field, select Browse and select the location in which to save the backup copy.
- Hit OK.
- Click Next, and choose save it now, then Finish.
Once done, there will be a pop up confirmation message and click OK.
I've got you an handy article for your reference: Back up your QuickBooks Desktop company file.
Once done, you can now upgrade your QuickBooks Desktop 2014 to the latest version. For your reference, you can check out this article for the detailed steps and information: Upgrade your company files after switching to a new version of QuickBooks Desktop.
In case you need tips and related articles in the future, visit our QuickBooks Community help website for reference: Help articles for Desktop.
That's it. This should help you point in the right direction. Let me know if you have further questions. I'll be here to answer them. Have a great day!
I’ll share the steps on how to open your company file using your QuickBooks 2020.
Here's how to start downloading:
- Go to the Downloads & Updates page to get the download link for the version of QuickBooks you purchased.
- Click Download.
Once you’re done, follow the steps below to continue the installation process:
- Open the Quickbooks.exe file and Click Next.
- Accept the terms and agreement and click Next.
- Enter your License Number and Product Number.
- Choose your installation type and follow the "on-screen" instructions and click Next going-forward.
- Click Open QuickBooks.
After you’re done installing, you can proceed with updating your company file.
I’ll be right here to help if you need further assistance. Enjoy the rest of your day.