Level 1

Pros & Cons to setting up projects by converting sub-customers in QBO Advanced

What are the pros and cons to setting up projects using the sub-customer conversion? (I am not looking to figure HOW to do this. That is the one thing I CAN find.)

Do you have expirience why it is better to use an estimate to creat a project or just starting with a raw project creation? This is the 3rd time I am setting this up in QBO Advanced from Desktop. I want to take everything that is under our current sub-customers and tie them to a project, which is not set up right now.

Thank you in advance for any responses to my question!

Install

Hello there, systematicbookke.

There are many pros when using Projects in QuickBooks Online. Here are some that I can think of:

• You can centralize the projects.
  • You can add transaction directly in the Project Center.
  • Add notes for projects.
  • There are profitability reports related to projects.
  • You can track income and expenses.

I can only think of a con when using projects in QuickBooks Online. Projects is not yet available in the QBO mobile app. You can use this link for reference: Compare mobile app features.

Here are some links that I can share about projects in QBO:

Other users might be able to share thoughts about the projects.

Feel free to let us know if you need anything else.

Level 1

Install

Thank you for the reply!

I actually am not wondering if I should use projects... I am going to set it up.

I am trying to figure out what the cons are of converting sub-customers into projects, since those are already set up. There are several ways to set up projects, but I do remember seeing something that said not to convert subcustomers to set up projects but I am not sure why.

I need to find someone that has expirence with why I would or would not want to "mass convert" sub-customers to make them projects.

Thanks again!

Install

Thanks for getting back to us, systematicbookke.

I can help share some insights regarding Sub-customers or Projects features for your business within your QuickBooks Online account.

In Projects, there can only one hierarchical level which means it can't have sub-projects. Unlike customers wherein you can have a project or multiple projects. Also, Projects needs you to bill the project with the customer, whereas sub-customers can have a different billing address than the customer.

I've listed below the advantages of utilizing Project:

• There are three defined reports within Projects:
    > Project Profitability
    > Time cost by employee or vendor
    > Unbilled Time and Expenses
  • You can view all projects in one place
  • Drilling into the project gives you more information on the project
  • Transaction processing is more efficient

Check out our detailed guide on changing sub-customers into projects.

Feel free to comment down below if you need anything else.

Level 1

Install

Thank you. :)

Level 1

Install

I actually got my answer from Hector Garcia. I am grateful for all of the responses.