My company has a version of QB 2018 Desktop Pro which we use for the accounting for one of our companies. We recently purchased another company, who also uses Quickbooks, but I am unable to open their QB file. I keep getting the error message "Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2018 cannot open this company file because the file has been updated to a newer version of Quickbooks". I have downloaded the newest version of QB 2018 Desktop Pro from the QB website, but I keep getting the same error message. The recommended action is to "Upgrade your version of Quickbooks to the latest version". Does this mean to get QB 2019? or can we update our current 2018 version with the most recent software patches, and it should work? I dont deal with QB on a daily basis, so this software is really testing my patience. Help please?
I appreciate you reaching out to us in the Community for providing the complete details. I can share some information about the error you're getting when opening another company file in QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) Pro 2018.
It's possible that the company file you're trying to open is from the 2019 edition. You'll normally get an alert when restoring a company file to a version that's higher than the one you use.
At the moment, we're unable to downgrade a company file once it is updated. However, if you have a backup copy of the company file before it was updated, you can restore it your current QuickBooks version as a workaround. Here's how:
1. Go to the File menu and pick Open or Restore Company on the drop-down.
2. Select Restore a backup copy, then Next.
3. Click Locate backup and Next again.
4. Choose the backup file location on the Look in drop-down. Locate the backup file from the folder. It should appear as [Company Name].qbb.
5. Hit Open, then Next.
6. From the Save in drop-down, choose the location to save the restored file.
7. Enter a new name in the File name field, then hit Save.
That should help you fixed right up. Please comment below to let me know how it goes or if I can be of additional assistance. I'll be happy to help. Have a great rest of the week.