Re: Received a Backup file QBB from a client who uses a Mac Computer.
Thanks for checking in with us, Romeo17.
Let me help you get past the error code you're getting while restoring the backup file in QuickBooks Desktop.
The error code 31197 00540 you're getting is caused by various reasons, but the most common reason are missing Windows or QuickBooks updates, data damage, computer issues, or program code that needs repairing. The Unrecoverable error can occur in numerous situations but are not limited to:
- Attempting to open a company file
- Closing a company file
- Closing an open window in a company file
- Creating a backup
- Creating a company file
It is important to make sure that your QuickBooks Desktop is up to date in the latest release version to take advantage of updates and bug fixes. After that, follow the steps below to resolve this.
Solution 1: Identify how many users are affected:
- From the Company menu, select Set Up Users and Passwords > Set Up Users.
Enterprise users: Go to the Company menu, then select Users > Set Up Users and Roles.
- Select Add User..., then type the user name and password. Select Next.
Note: Do not use the damaged user name.
- Customize the user as necessary, then select Finish.
- Go to the File menu, then select Close Company/Logoff.
- Log in to the company file using the new log in credential.
Solution 2: Suppress your QuickBooks Desktop:
- Press and hold the Ctrl key.
- Double-click your QuickBooks program icon.
- Hold the Ctrl key until the No Company Open window shows.
For detailed steps and information, check out this recommended article: Unrecoverable Error: General Troubleshooting Steps.
You may find these articles helpful:
For additional help, you can also reach out to our QuickBooks Desktop Support. They have additional tools to assist you in getting this resolved.
- Within your QuickBooks Desktop, click Help at the top menu bar.
- Click Contact us.
- To route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have. Give a brief description of your issue and click Continue.
- We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you
Feel free to get back to me if you need more help in restoring your file in QuickBooks Desktop. I'll be around to help.