Hello there, @boots,
I'd be glad to walk you through pulling up a report to get the sub-total of items on an invoice before the tax is added.
You can pull up the Profit and Loss report that shows your gross profit. The gross profit is the percentage of revenue left over after you account for the cost of goods sold.
- Go to your Reports menu.
- Select Company & Financial, then Profit and Loss Standard.
- Look for the Gross Profit, then click the amount to open the Transaction Detail by Account report.
- Click the Total By drop-down, then select Customer.
- Locate the invoice, then under the Balance column, you'll see the amount before the tax is added.
- You can click the invoice to bring up the transaction.
If you need to customize report, please check this out: Customize reports in QuickBooks Desktop.
Let me know if there's any other reports you need and I'd be glad to lend a hand.