Re: error when creating backup
Thanks for the update, @alamal1.
I also appreciate you for performing the steps provided by my colleague in this thread.
Every version of QuickBooks has a corresponding component that needs to be updated for the system to function. To help diagnose and fix these errors, let's download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor. This tool analyzes your computer if it's set up correctly.
If you're getting the same result, this can be caused by one or more of the following:
- The file is saved in a protected location such as the root of C:// Drive or Program Files of a Windows Vista, 7 or 8.
- The file is located in a restricted location.
- Folder permissions are not set up properly.
- The folder where the company file is saved is damaged.
Please follow the solution outlined below to get rid of the error:
Solution 1: Move the company file to the default location
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Browse to the location of your company file.
- Right-click the company file (.qbw), then select Copy.
- Browse to the default location, right-click and select Paste.Location: C://Users/Public/PublicDocuments/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files
- Open the company file from the default location.
Solution 2: Create a new folder for the company file(s)
- Create a new folder in the same directory.
- Copy your company files to the new folder.
- Do not forget to set up folder permissions to share company files.
- From the File menu, select Open or restore a company.
- Select Open a company file, then Next
- Browse to the new folder and select a company file.
- Select Open.
Solution 3: Test and Set folder permissions.
- Open Microsoft Word or notepad.
- Type in "Test".
- Save the file to the same location where the company file is saved.
- If the file saves without issues, your folder has the correct permissions.
You can also check out this article for other troubleshooting steps: Error -6000, -83: An error occurred. This article provides detailed steps when you receive unexpected errors when opening, backing up, or restoring company file.
Keep me posted on how this goes and I'll get back to you.