We recently redeemed some American Express rewards. When the in/out (+/-) came into QB I just entered them as an expense & then a credit card credit. But I when I went to reconcile today there was an extra transaction listed & even though it was unchecked my balance was zero. I figured all good. Well, I usually delete duplicated transactions but when I did that to this unchecked item for some reason it messed everything up. So I'm wondering if I just removed the other 2 transactions & then excluded them if it would really do any damage. Will they still show up somewhere else? Will them not being on the QB reconciliation but on the cc statement really affect anything?
You can exclude these transactions, LWAY1.
Since you've already added these transactions in QuickBooks Online, you just need to clear it on the bank register. Doing this will not affect anything in your books.
To exclude, here's how:
- Click Banking on the left pane.
- Select For Review tab.
- Select the transactions by putting a check mark on the boxes and click the Batch actions drop-down menu.
- Choose Exclude Selected.
Once done, the transactions will be added to the Excluded tab were you can undo or delete them. These transactions will only show up in the Excluded tab.
Here's an article for reference: Exclude expenses from downloaded bank transactions.
To clear the transactions in the bank register:
- On the left panel, select Accounting > Chart of Accounts.
- Click the View register link of the bank account where the check was added.
- Find and select the check to show the options. Under the Reconcile (indicated by a check mark) column, click the blank field until you see the letter C. This letter means Cleared and the letter R is for Reconciled.
- Press the Save button after.
Check out these articles for future reference in categorizing and reconciling accounts:
- Categorize and match online bank transactions in QuickBooks Online
- Reconcile an account in QuickBooks Online
Stay in touch with me if you have other questions.