A. You can import locations into the system by following these steps:
1. Log into QuickBooks Online and go to the "Employees" tab.
2. Click on "Payroll Settings" and then "Locations".
3. From the locations screen, click the "Import QuickBooks Locations" option on the top right hand side of the page.
Your QuickBooks locations will now be available.
B. You then need to ensure that classes are assigned to the locations.
1. Log into QuickBooks Online and click on the "Employees" tab.
2. Click on the "Settings" tab and select "Locations".
3. Click on the location to which you want to assign a class.
4. From the "Classes" drop down, choose the class you want to assign to the location
5. Click "Save".
C. Exporting Payroll Journals using Locations and Classes:
1. Go to 'Employees' tab, click on Payroll Settings then click Chart of Accounts.
2. From the Chart of Account, click the Defaults Chart of account.
3. For each journal transaction type that you want classes and locations to be assigned to, click the 'Split by location' option against each transaction type. In this case, we're going to split the wages expenses by location.
4. Click 'Save'
D. The final step is to process a pay run. Ensure that your earnings lines for your employees are allocated to the correct locations.
Once you have allocated the locations to the earnings lines in the pay run, you can finalise the pay run and the journal will be posted with transaction lines created for each location / class.
Note: The employee's primary location will be the location used to assign the leave provisions, not the location where the employee worked.