Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

Can a budget amount be set per class instead of per account?

QuickBooks Team

Re: Can a budget amount be set per class instead of per account?

Hi there, accounting33.

Yes, you can set up your budget by class. Let me show you how:

1. Create a new budget in the Budgeting section. 
  2. Select Class in the drop-down arrow for Subdivide by.
  3. Select which class the budget is for in the drop-down arrow for Add subdivided budget for
  4. Click Next.
  5. Enter the budget amounts in the class that's selected in the drop-down arrow for View budget for.

I also have screenshots below for more details. Leave a reply below if you have other questions. 

budget by class.PNG

budget by class 2.PNG

Not applicable

Answer appears to be a budget by Class within Account; question is for a budget by Class instead of Account.  

Not applicable

Spoiler
Spoiler
The answer appears to be a budget by Class within Account.  Is there a way to create a budget by Class instead of by Account?  In other words, a single amount for each Class across all accounts.
QuickBooks Team

Thank you for joining the thread, @millerdq.

I'd be glad to help set a budget amount per class across all accounts.

The steps provided by my colleague above is correct in setting up a budget by class. However, to create a budget per class across all accounts, you'll need to enter the budget amount by class in the Accounts section.

Here's how:

1. In the Budgeting section, select Class in the drop-down arrow for Subdivide by.
  2. In the Add subdivided budget for drop-down, select which class you'll add.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the Class in the View budget for drop-down, then enter the budget amounts in the class for each account.
  5. Once done, click Save.

Then, please repeat steps 4 and 5 for the rest of your class.

You might also want to read these articles to learn more about classes and budgets: 

Fill me in if you have other questions about managing budgets in QuickBooks Online. I’ll be always around to help.

Not applicable

Hi, this is great, but I created my budgets before classes and can't now edit the budget to set it by class.  Can this be done? Thanks. Rebecca 

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, Rebecca.

Once the budget is already saved, QuickBooks doesn't allow us to edit it. I know a workaround for this. I'd suggest creating a new budget by class and use the old budget as the reference. Please refer to the steps which my colleague @Jeno_P provided above.

Also, you can check this article on how to create, edit, and manage budgets.

Don't hesitate to post in the Community again if you have other concerns. We're always here to help you. Have a great day!