Frequent Explorer *
This widget could not be displayed.

Re: Invoicing my customers for inventory items is not decreasing my inventory and increasing my C...

Oh, I see what you mean now. However, this does not work for me because the price is different every time. You see, we don't keep inventory in the traditional sense. When we buy a spool of wire for a job, whatever amount of footage of wire is left over after that job is assigned a dollar value and placed into inventory to be used at other jobs later. Also, we sometimes purchase wire nuts, screws, nails, etc. that we don't track the quantities of or try to track those small items individually, we just charge the purchase to inventory assets and then when they are used on a job, the owner assigns an estimated dollar value of those materials that were used from inventory on a particular job. So, when I invoice my customers for stock/inventory materials used, the dollar amounts are different on each job. I was under the impression that all I needed to do to show the decrease in the dollar value of  inventory  and the increase in COGS was to invoice my customer for the estimated value of those stock materials that were used on their job, since the item I put on the invoice is an inventory part. I verified that the inventory part "Stock/Inventory Materials" item is set up properly showing the correct asset account, COGS account, and income account. I just can't understand what I am doing wrong. I feel uncharacteristically stupid at the moment :-)

Also, the dollar value cost of the inventory materials does not show up in my job costing reports as an expense of the customer's job, which I think is a direct result of the fact that it is not posting from the invoice to COGS as it should. HELP?