We are a non-profit and our members send us their monthly subscription dues as a transfer from their bank. We don't generate or send invoices. We have an income category called "Monthly Subscription Dues", and we tag all the incoming bank transfers to this category. Unfortunately, this category is not setup as a subset of "Sales" category.
So this creates the following problems:
1) Though the money we get shows up as income; it does not show up as sales. So reporting does not reflect the sales that we made on a monthly basis. I can work around this by generating income reporting.
2) For each of our members, I cannot figure out how money they have paid to date. In Sales, under customers, customer name, it shows no transactions. So I cannot determine if the member paid their dues this month or last month.
Is there a way to fix this. I have a work around for my #1 issue, but I really need to find a solution to my #2 issue.
You're on the right track, @capsyouth!
Generating an income report will display the monthly basis of your sales.
In addition, you have the option to create a Sales Receipt for the payments from your members. I'll be happy to assist with this.
First off, let's create a service as an item for your member's subscription. Here's how:
- Go to the Sales page.
- Select Products and Services.
- Click New.
- Choose Services.
- Enter Subscription as the name of the service.
- Select an income account and enter the Sales price/rate.
Once done, you can create a Sales Receipt transaction. Let me show you how:
- Go to the Plus icon.
- Under Customers, select Sales Receipt.
- Choose a Customer, a Sales Receipt date, and a Payment method.
- Select an item and a bank account from the Deposit to drop-down menu.
- Enter the service item you created.
- Hit Save and close.
This way, you'll be able to track your member's payments up-to-date.
Here's a screenshot below for your visual reference.
I've also attached an article you can read to learn more about creating a sales receipt transaction and an item:
- Create and Send a Sales Receipt
- How to Set Up Inventory Tracking (proceed to Create Inventory Items)
It'll always be my pleasure to help if you have any other questions.