Re: How do I add the credit card processing fee to an invoice without being charged the processin...
Hello there, @BNC.
Charging customers a fee for credit card payments are currently prohibited in 10 states—Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas.
If your business operation is located in these states, it would be best to consult a tax adviser to get suggestions on how to record the customer charge.
However, you can charge a convenience fee to your customers who use credit cards rather than another form of payment that's standard for the business.
- When creating an invoice, add a separate line item for the convenience fee.
- Click the ITEM CODE column, then choose Add New.
- Under the TYPE drop-down, select Other Charge.
- Enter the Item Name.
- In the Amount or % field enter a flat amount if you're charging a fixed amount. Otherwise, enter a rate with a percent sign if you're charging a specific percentage on the invoices.
- Fill all necessary fields then click OK.
To learn more recommendations about accounting credit card fees, you may refer to this blog for details: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Credit Card Fees.
Just scroll down and look for Should You Accept Credit Cards In Light Of All The Credit Card Fees? and Tips For Offsetting Credit Card Fees sections.
Keep me posted if there's anything else you might want to ask concerning QuickBooks. I'll be around to help. Have a great day ahead.