Re: Our vendor/supplier wants us to invoice them for the amount of a claim we have on one of their bills instead of deducting the amount they owe us in a payment. How do I do this ?
It's a couple of steps, but there's a pretty straightforward way to do this.
- Create a customer account for your vendor so you can cut the invoice in their name
- Open the bill with the amount you're filing a claim against
- Add a new line on the bill to reflect the claim amount. Include appropriate comment, mark it billable, and specify the new customer account as the customer.
- Adjust the other lines on the bill as needed to reflect the claim. You don't want to change the overall amount of the bill.
- Save and close the bill.
- Open Invoices -> Invoice for Time and Expenses
- Locate your vendor's customer account, which should show the amount of the claim.
- Select that account, select the expense you're billing, and create the invoice.
Note that when you go to pay the bill, you'll be paying the full amount; and in the meantime you'll be waiting for a check for your claim, which you'll apply to the open invoice when it shows up.