Hello there, @jawoodjr,
Recording billable expenses helps you manage the costs associated with your sales transactions. This is currently available in the Plus and Advanced versions.
As an alternative, you'll want to consider our higher versions so you can track billable expenses on the invoices. You can visit this website: QuickBooks Online (QBO) Plans. It lets you view the comparison and pricing chart between the online versions of QuickBooks. Once you've chosen the right plan for you, you can upgrade your subscription.
After that, you can enable the billable expense feature in the settings. Let me guide you how.
- Go to the Settings (Gear) icon at the upper right.
- Select Account and Settings under Your Company.
- Go to Expenses from the left menu.
- Choose the Bills and expenses section.
- Check these three boxes: Show Items table on expense and purchase forms, Track expenses and items by customer, Make expenses and items billable.
- Click Save.
- Choose Done.
The screenshot below shows you the five steps. Then, create a billable expense and add it to your invoices. For detailed steps on how to perform this action, go through this article: Enter Billable Expenses.
You can always run the Unbilled Charges report to show your billable expense charges you haven't invoiced yet. Just go to Reports from the left menu. Then, enter Uninvoiced Charges in the Search box to pull up the report.
I'll be right here to help if you need anything else. Have a good day, @jawoodjr.