Let me show you how to create a parent account, cjohnson3.
We simply need to create two different expense accounts. One account for G&A Expense and another one for Operating Expense. When setting up these accounts, don't check the Is sub-account box. That makes it a parent account.
In addition, you only need to create an account for Operating Expense since you mentioned that you already added the G&A Expense. The only thing we need to make sure is that you added it as a parent account. You can follow these steps on how to check it.
- Go to the Accounting tab and select Chart of Accounts.
- Locate the G&A Expense. Under Action column, click Edit.
- Make sure the Is sub-account box isn't checked.
- Click Save and Close.
This is how to create a parent account for Operating Expense.
- From the Chart of Accounts page, click New.
- Select expense as the Account and Detail Type. Enter Operating Expense as its Name.
- Do not check the Is sub-account box. Click Save and Close.
Click on the photos I attached to see how it looks like. When you create sub-accounts that you want to associate to these accounts, that's the time we have to select the Is sub-account. You can also refer to this article for more details: How to change the type of an existing parent account or sub-account.
Please tag my name if you have more clarifications. Have a great day!