I'll walk you through on how you can mark an invoice as paid without affecting your bank balance.
You'll first need to create a credit memo. You can link this transaction later on to your invoice to close it.
- Go to the + New menu.
- Select Credit memo.
- Choose the customer in question under the Customer drop-down menu.
- Fill the product or service under the Product/Service column.
- Type in the amount as well. This should be the same amount on the invoice you wish to mark as paid.
- When done, click Save and close.
Now, we need to link this to the invoice. Follow the steps below:
- Highlight the Sales tab.
- Choose Invoices.
- Search for the invoice in question, then click to open it.
- Click the Receive payment button.
- On the Receive Payment page, ensure the only selected invoice is what you want to mark as paid.
- Under the Credits section, tick the checkbox for the credit memo you created earlier.
- Tap Save and close when done.
Following the sets of steps provided above, you'll have recorded a payment to an invoice without affecting your bank balance.
It would still be best to link the actual payment for this invoice. If it was recorded as a deposit, you can follow the steps in this article: How to link a deposit to an invoice.
Feel free to place a comment below if you have any other questions in mind. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.