An employee wrote/cashed fraudulent checks under other employees names. I need to reduce the victim employees gross wages and reduce state/fed taxes (we've already paid) before the end of this calendar year. Also will have to adjust payroll liabilities. What is the best way of completing this correctly? Thanks!
Solved! Go to Solution.
When there is a payroll check in the QB file that didn't actually happen, or in this case the net check was stolen and the wages were not actually earned, this is one of the few cases where it is appropriate to void the payroll check and replace it with a standard bank check.
Voiding the payroll check will unravel all of the employee-based data that drives the W-2 and similar forms. It will mean that you'll need to amend many of the quarterly payroll forms, some of which QB supports (like the 941x.)
Hi there, Paulaatgsconcrete.
It's good to hear from you again today. Allow me to step in for a moment and share some insight on that part of BRC's awesome answer.
You are correct, you could void the payroll checks to correct the data on your forms and reports, then replace them with standard checks. The following steps will guide you through each of these processes.
To void the payroll checks:
- From the Employees menu, choose Payroll Center.
- Go to the Pay Employees tab.
- At the bottom, click Edit/Void Paycheck.
- Enter a date range in the Show Paychecks From and Through fields, then click anywhere in the display area to show the paychecks.
- Select one that needs to be deleted.
- Click the Void button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions that'll appear. Repeat these steps for the other paychecks.
- Once you're finished, hit the Done button to close the window.
To create standard checks:
- From the Banking menu, select Write Checks.
- Choose the correct Bank Account.
- Enter the appropriate details in the Pay to the Order Of (vendor), Number (No.), Date, and Amount fields. If necessary, you may also enter a Memo.
- Fill in the correct Account, Amount, and any other necessary details.
- Click Save & Close.
Keep in touch with me here if there's anything else you need. I always got your back. Thanks for reaching out, wishing you and your business the best.