QuickBooks Team

Reports and accounting

I’m here to provide information that will surely clear things out for you, @Ellie16.

Since the amount was deposited in your bank account and you've used the Receive payments to clear the outstanding invoice, yes, it will add up your sales and results to have doubled entries.

Once the open invoice was paid through bank transfer (ACH) or checks, you don’t need to use the receive payment feature to apply for the payments. Instead, match it to the downloaded transaction (deposit) to clear the outstanding amounts.

The Receive payments option is only applicable if someone paid you through cash. That way, you can apply the said payment to settle the events.

You can delete the payment you’ve created to get rid of duplicate transactions. Let me show you how:

1. Go to the Sales menu the All Sales.
    Capture.PNG
  2. Locate and select the invoice.
  3. Uncheck the tick box, then press the Clear Payment option.
  4. Click Save and close.
    Capture.PNG

Doing this process will make the invoice open again. Then you’ll have to go to your Banking page to match it to the deposit. Here’s how:

1. Select Banking, then Banking.
  2. Choose the bank account where the money was deposited.
  3. Find the transaction and click Match.

You can use this reference for additional information about categorizing and matching online bank transactions in QBO.

Moving forward, have this as a guide when you reconcile your account. It contains complete instructions to ensure everything is balanced and accurate.

Let me know if you other concerns or follow-up questions about your entries. I’ll be here to help you out.