It's nice to have you in the Community, @daniel-hoythouse. I'd be happy to help get this taken care of today.
You can use the receive payment feature to record the invoice payment received once your customer pays. Here's how:
- In the left menu, click the + New button.
- Choose Receive Payment.
- Pick the name of the customer in the drop-down menu and enter the payment date.
- Fill out the Payment method, Reference no., and where you'll like to deposit the money in the Deposit to field.
- From the Outstanding Transactions section, select the transactions that you’d like for QuickBooks Online to calculate.
- Once done, select Save and close.
However, if you use QuickBooks Payments, once your customer pays, we will handle everything and categorize it to the right account.
For more information about receiving and categorizing invoice payments, see this article: Record invoice payments in QuickBooks Online.
Adding you also some resource which you may find helpful:
- Take and process payments in QuickBooks Online
- Process a credit card payment in QuickBooks Online
- How to record an invoice payment (using undeposited funds)
You can always get back to me whenever you have other questions. I'm always here to help.