I opened QB's for Non-Profit today and there are quite a few new accounts listed under the Chart of Accounts that weren't there yesterday. They are even numbered! Does anyone know how this can occur? I thought possibly I was showing inactive and active accounts, but that's not the case. Don't know how these other accounts got there.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Thanks for posting here in the Community, Lynn918.
If the accounts that appear are not the inactive ones, let perform some troubleshooting steps to resolve this.
To begin, we can run the Verify and Rebild tool. This tool helps resolve minor and common data issues in QuickBooks.
Before we proceed, I recommend updating QuickBooks to the latest release. Doing so can help your books stay up-to-date so you always have the latest features and fixes.
Once done, we can now utilize the Verify and Rebuild tool.
Here's how to verify your data:
- Go to the File menu and then select Utilities.
- Select Verify Data.
- Click OK to close all windows. If you see a prompt message, Your data has failed the integrity check, rebuild your file to correct the issue. Otherwise, you're done.
Here are the steps in rebuilding your company file:
- From the File menu, select Utilities.
- Select Rebuild Data and then select OK to close all windows.
- QuickBooks will ask to make a backup before rebuilding your company file, select OK. If you don’t want to do a backup, select Cancel to continue.
- If you haven’t set up any backup preferences, QuickBooks will ask you to update them. Select Backup Preferences and edit as needed, then click OK.
- When the backup's finished, select Show in Finder to locate the backup.
- Once the rebuild's finished, select OK.
To learn more about how to organize your Chart of Accounts, I encourage you to check out this article: Understand the Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks.
Additionally, if you'd like to see the balances of non-balance accounts, you can add the QuickBooks balance and your bank balance to the Chart of Accounts. I'll guide you how.
- Go to the Company menu and choose Chart of Accounts.
- Select the Account drop-down menu and then choose Customize Columns.
- Under Available Columns, select Balance then Add.
- Select OK.
We're only a few clicks away if you need further assistance in managing QuickBooks. We always want to ensure everything is taken care of.